1. Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text basis for the answers.
2. Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures, determine their central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
3. (in social studies) Describe the relationship between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text, using language that pertains to time, sequence, and cause/effect.
4. (in science & technology) Use text features and search tools (e.g. Key words, sidebars, hyperlinks) to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.
5. (in social studies) Use information gained from illustrations (e.g. maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text (e.g. where, when, why, and how key events occur).
6. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis ksills in decoding words.
7. Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension. Read on-level prose and poetry with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.